Table of Contents
Tea Tree Oil For Hair 💡
You might have seen many shampoos, skin creams, lotions and face washes which have tea tree extracts listed as one of their main ingredients. Ever wondered why is that and what benefits does tea tree oil offer? Tea tree oil is one of the healthiest natural oils that’s very effective for hair and skin care, popularly called as “Medicine in a Bottle”.
The use of tea tree oil, though gained popularity in modern times only much recently, started long back by the native aborigines in Australia as they had learned about its medicinal properties that help cure cuts, boils, burns, and skin infections.
What is Tea Tree Oil?
Tea tree oil is extracted through a process of distillation, from the leaves of Melaleuca Alternifolia (or Tea Tree), a tree that is native to the coast of the New South Wales, Australia. It’s commonly used to treat many skin related disorders and to prevent a number of hair problems such as baldness, dandruff, itchy scalp, head lice and even psoriasis. Tea tree oil is gaining popularity as a great alternative to artificial, chemical-filled hair care products.
Benefits of Tea Tree Oil for Hair
Here are a few of the reasons why Tea Tree Oil is recommended by many cosmetologists and dermatologists:
- Prevents dandruff and head lice by unblocking hair follicles, removing dead cells, and boosting the immune system to fight better against infections that result in hair loss.
- Has many natural antibacterial, antifungal, anti-infection, antiviral, and antiseptic properties which are quite effective in dealing with many hair-related problems.
- keeps the scalp free from bacterial and fungal infections, preventing itchy and dry scalp
- Contains anti-androgenic properties which inhibit male hormones that cause hair loss.
Using Tea Tree Oil For Treating Scalp Problems
- Wash your hair with regular shampoo.
- Take a cup of yogurt and mix a mashed avocado, 2 tbsp of honey, 10 drops of Argan Oil, and a few drops of Tea Tree Oil to make a paste with a creamy consistency. – Apply this paste to your scalp and massage it gently for 6 to 8 minutes.
- You may comb your hair to distribute the oil evenly over the scalp.
- Leave for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Repeat on a regular basis for best results.
This process will help moisture your hair as it’s rich in healthy fats. Honey not only aids in hydration but also in providing essential enzymes required for natural hair growth.
Using Tea Tree Oil For Treating Dandruff
The antibacterial and antifungal properties of Tea Tree Oil fight against the fungus that’s the cause of dandruff. It helps in eliminating any agents which make the skin flake, without drying your scalp. This makes it as a good natural conditioner for your hair.
- Add tea tree oil to your shampoo. Take about 10 drops of oil for every eight ounces of shampoo.
- Shampoo your hair and let the Tea Tree Oil mixture stay on your hair for at least 3 to 5 minutes.
- Rinse the shampoo thoroughly from your hair.
Can you know more about How To Get Rid of Dandruff Permanently
Using Tea Tree Oil For Treating Ingrown Hair
Though preventing ingrown hair from occurring in the first place is certainly the best way to deal with them, but when they keep popping up despite your efforts, you will need to effectively treat the discomfort that’s caused due to this problem.
Tea tree oil can be helpful in both treatment and prevention of ingrown hair.
Add about 10 drops of Tea Tree Oil to your body moisturizer. This will make your moisturizer even more effective and reduce the chances of ingrown hair.
At the time of shaving, well-hydrated, smooth skin is less likely to have razor bumps and ingrown hair that these bumps can cause.
Tips for Usage
- Dilute Tea Tree Oil by using another oil prior as the base before applying it on your hair as using it directly can cause itchiness, dryness, and irritation.
- Tea tree oil should never be swallowed or used orally.
- Apply a small amount of oil as a patch test, since some people are allergic to Tea Tree Oil. If you notice no signs of irritation or redness, use it in the right proportion for keeping the hair healthy.
- If used incorrectly or in wrong proportions, the oil may cause the reverse effects, such as making hair very weak.
- Choosing the right remedy for your hair problem and applying Tea Tree Oil mixed with the right kind of ingredients in the right way is a sure way to see some positive results for yourself!