Effective Hints On How To Get Rid Of A Stye
A stye is painful, and sometimes itchy and definitely irritating swelling on the outside or sometimes the inside of the eyelid. Normally, sties are filled with pus and they last for some days before they can go down. These swellings are rarely life threatening and are caused by a bacteria called staphylococcus.
Most people experience this condition at least once or twice in their lifetime, hence it is quite common. It is nothing to worry about, but can be thoroughly irritating. This is why one needs to be armed with information of how to get rid of a stye once it attacks.
Are you searching helpful hints on how to get rid of a stye? Reading through the comprehensive facts of this content will help you find effective tips on how to eliminate a stye.
Causes of sties
The bacteria called staphylococcus is responsible for this irritating condition. The human body is a host of a number of friendly bacteria. In instances where the conditions are right for these bacteria’s, they feed on debris around the infected area and other dead cells. This results in a formation of this swelling.
There is a world of difference between a stye and a chalazion. A chalazion is a painless swelling while a stye is really painful. Chalazia develops over an extended period, maybe weeks or months, while a stye develops suddenly. Chalazia develops when the tiny tear glands are blocked by oily substances, hence preventing tear evaporation from the eyes. It is usually in the middle of the eyelid while a stye is usually at the corner of the eyelid.
How To Get Rid Of A Stye: Home remedies
1. Ensure that you begin with clean hands. Since the bacteria causing sties is fed by some debris, then ensure you work with clean hands.
2. Clean the affected area. To effectively clean the area, use a warm was clothe.
3. While showering, use baby shampoo, as this is milder than ordinary shampoos.
4. Use a warm teabag to compress the affected area while relaxing or watching television. A warm teabag will make the swelling to subside in less time than usual.
5. Since this swelling is really painful and thoroughly uncomfortable, get yourself or your loved one some over the counter pain relievers and antibiotics. These ought to help with the pain and discomfort.
When to visit the doctor
Sometimes, this infection can call for a visit to your physician. Some of these times include the following:
- If the said stye is recurrent. A stye is common and happens to most people at least twice in their life. If the stye keeps recurring, ten or fifteen times in a year, then, this is a sign of an underlying skin condition. Get checked by a doctor to verify.
- When the said stye persists for more than a few weeks. Normally a stye will stay for just a week or so. If it persists, this can be a sign of a greater issue within your body. One should get examined.
- If it happens that when you get this problem, your normal vision is interfered with, then visit your physician immediately.
- If your whole eye becomes painful during this period, then this is a sign of a greater problem. Get checked by an eye doctor.
Tips on what not to do when infected with a stye
1. Do not rub the infected area with unclean hands. This is unless you are cleaning it with a clean, warm, washcloth. Rubbing causes spreading of the stye
2. Do not squeeze the stye. This may easily lead to re-infection and hence the stye will persist
3. Do not touch the stye with unclean hands, if the stye is still red and painful. Regardless of the temptations. Wait until the stye breaks and the pus is release for you to squeeze or touch.
4. Do not use eye makeup. If you have to use make up, then use natural products. This is not advised, though, since the infection will persist. This remedy may sound counterproductive, given that one may need to hide this swelling. Going natural and nit applying any make up will make the swelling go down a bit faster than if you cake your face with makeup.
Sties are easily managed by the above procedures, taking into consideration any warning signs. This stye may have been caused by the use of old make up which has built up decries. For this reason, toss out the old make up in favor of new ones. This reduces chances of getting infected. If infected, it lessens the condition.